Willpower Verses Faith
Don’t Let Willpower Bind Your Ability To Receive From God!
Return To: Christian Healing
From The Bible Study Successful Christian Living by Margaret Lukasik
If you’re having problems receiving your healing or making the changes you need, it may be because you’re using willpower.
We need to keep God’s Word simple but many times we complicate it by using our own ability rather than working on God’s ability. When can only use God’s Word one way according to John 4:24.
John 4:24 (KJV) “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
Willpower can’t work with God’s Word as scripture tells us because we can only work with God or communicate with Him on a spiritual level. So willpower can never work for holding back sin so that we can make ourselves good enough to please God for answered prayer.
We need to have the faith that it’s only because of Jesus’ shed blood on the cross that we can go before God and be right with Him. God sees us through His Son Jesus Christ not because of anything we could do on our own. We’re not good enough, but through Jesus we can receive from God all of our scriptural blessings because God sees us through Him.
To help you better understand the difference between willpower and faith, I’ll demonstrate an area where I’ve had much experience using willpower in the past, which is weight loss. The action and result of using willpower for anything regarding general living is much the same as using willpower rather than faith to experience what the Bible says about us or what we can have, it’s exhausting and temporary.
The use of willpower is a necessary tool for anyone using diet fad products that limit food intake and cause a person to feel deprived of daily eating. This is because willpower is the only way we can cope with starving our bodies, being deprived of nutrition or experiencing a great eating experience. Diet fad products are considered to be one of the top “HOT SUBJECTS” for making money because for most people willpower used with these products doesn’t last long. Therefore, it’s necessary to move on to the next product hoping that it will cause a specific weight loss without personal effort, but it never does so willpower once again must come into play and as always, it’s short lived or it leads to suppression which can create much inner turmoil.
Sadly this is what happens when we use willpower to act upon scripture for change, answered prayer or to receive scriptural blessings. When we use willpower over faith, we deny or negate God’s power in our lives until we relinquish our desire to try and do ourselves what only God can do through Jesus Christ.
So if you’re in the process of trusting God for blessings or making lasting inner changes, trust God by faith that it’s already done in Christ once you’ve prayed. Then thank and praise God daily until you receive what you desire.
Verses For Trusting God
- Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
- Isaiah 43:1 But now thus said the LORD that created you, O Jacob, and he that formed you, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed you, I have called you by your name; you are mine.
- Joshua 1:9 Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be you dismayed: for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.
- Psalms 56:3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in you.
- Psalms 84:12 O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusts in you.
- Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not to your own understanding.
- John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: you believe in God, believe also in me.
Return To: Christian Healing
Leave Willpower Verses Faith For Home